Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Bathroom Redo Part 2

I've been living with beige walls for probably ten+ years now and although it's a soothing color, I've been longing for something different.  Now that my bathroom redo is complete, every time I walk in there I am instantly pleased by the colors.  I'm loving the white and blue.  The colors of the ocean are so fresh and calming.

Okay, onto the pictures!  The before photos show what I started with.  I painted the walls, put up a faux board and batten treatment, and painted the cabinetry.

Next up, I made a frame for the mirror.  I looked at several tutorials for framing the mirror and many of them suggested using liquid nails for the adhesive, but I didn't want something so permanent.  If I ever wanted to remove it, I would ruin the mirror, so I went with one suggestion of using clear caulking.  I purchased pre-primed composite moulding from Lowes for the frame.  Since it's lightweight the caulking easily held it in place.  I started with the bottom piece, cut it to length with a miter box and hand saw, taped it in place and continued cutting until all the pieces were in place.  I then took it off the mirror, placed it upside down on a flat surface and glued it together with wood glue.  Once it dried completely, I applied the caulking, set it in place, and taped it to the mirror with some painter's tape.



I added some clear caulking to the bottom so water wouldn't get in between the moulding and the mirror.  


It's a simple change, but it looks finished.

We had ONE towel rod in the bathroom and three kiddos.  That obviously did not work so I started searching for ideas.  I came across a great idea to sew tabs on the side of each towel so they will hang perfectly uniform - brilliant!



I purchased the hooks from Lowes.  They are part of the matching hardware set I purchased for the cabinetry.   I added vinyl letters with each kiddos initial.  I originally thought to do 1, 2, 3 but they wanted their initials and I love it!

I found the shower curtain at West Elm.  I don't live close to a store and they were out of stock online, so customer service gave me the closest store's phone number and I was able to order directly from them, they shipped it to me, and it arrived within a few days.  Yay for awesome customer service!!


I picked up the sunburst mirror at Hobby Lobby, as well as the other art prints.  I found the little shelf and faux succulents over the toilet at Target.  The rugs are from JCPenney and the candle holder on the vanity is from Tuesday Morning.






All in all, I love it!  I makes me happy to go in there see a fresh, clean space.  It's modern without being cold, and it fits both girls and boys.  Now onto the hallway....

No comments:

Post a Comment